Lisa writes: I recently had an entire tube of chap-stick melt over all of my coins (not a collection, just money). How can I get the waxy residue off of them? I have tried boiling them. Please help!!
Don’t do this without supervision if you are under the age of 16 (or over 35 if you are a klutz in the kitchen).
1. take a piece of aluminum foil and fold up the sides to make a tray.
2. Make one end of your aluminum foil tray a bit lower than the other side (maybe put a shallow oven-proof dish under that side).
3. Place the affected coins on the higher part of the aluminum foil tray.
4. Turn on kitchen oven to 350 degrees.
5. Place your aluminum foil tray with coins in the upper part of the oven.
6. Wait 5-10 minutes. The wax will melt off the coins into the lower part of the aluminum foil.
7. Shut off oven and wait for it to cool.
8. The hardened wax will be at the lower end of the foil tray and the coins will be spendable.